The Columbiana Police Department took delivery of 2 new 2010 Dodge Charger Police Cruisers at 2pm on July 22nd, 2010.
Both of the Chargers were purchased in town from
Why the change to Dodge Chargers?
Chief Gladis chose to go with the Dodge Chargers for a number of reasons. First, the Dodge Charger has the greatest amount of officer safety features available in comparison to other vehicle options. With its 50/50 weight distribution and over sized disc brakes, the Charger has the best rating for the shortest braking distance available. These features will also help lower maintenance costs normally seen on police vehicles. Although the Chargers are equipped with the 5.1 Hemi engine, the engine is equipped with MDS which cuts out 4 of the 8 cylinders to help conserve gas when the higher power output is not needed.
The cabin is ergonomically designed for officer safety and comfort. The 2010 Dodge Chargers have been equipped with side airbags to protect all occupants of the vehicle in the event of a collision. Another new feature not seen before on CPD cruisers is the new kick proof window insert in the rear compartment. This insert insures that prisoners cannot kick out the rear windows and injure officers or themselves.
As you will notice when they are in action, the Chargers have been outfitted with a superior warning light package. Along with the new lighting package, the graphics on the cruisers have been constructed out of highly reflective, high visibility material. These enhancements will greatly increase visibility to motorists approaching our officers on traffic stops or when officers are responding to emergency calls for service.
The classic black-and-white paint scheme projects an image of professionalism and quiet competence that is more in tune with the reputation desired by the men and women of the Columbiana Police Department. The new cars were designed with input from every officer. Each feature was identified by officers as mission critical in the effective performance of their duty. Thanks to the citizens of our community for your support of our cruiser life-cycle replacement program.
Dodge Charger Features:
- 5.7l Hemi® V8 with MDS, delivers 368 hp and 391 lb-ft of torque
(MDS allows the Hemi to transition from eight cylinders to four in just 40 milliseconds to ensure the best performance and fuel savings.)
- 160-amp high-output alternator
- 160-mph or 260-km/h (certified) calibrated speedometer
- 18×7.5-inch steel wheels
- 800 CCA battery
- AM/FM stereo radio with CD player, changer controls, four speakers, and clock
- Bright hubcaps
- Column shifter
- Electronic Stability Program (ESP) with Emergency Brake Assist
- External Oil Coolers: engine oil, transmission fluid, power steering fluid
- Five-speed automatic transmission with overdrive
- Four-wheel anti-lock brakes with All-Speed Traction Control
- Four-wheel independent performance suspension
- P225/60R18 BSW V-rated performance tires
- Severe-duty cooling system
Police Equipment Features:
- Whelen Edge® Justice® Super-LED® Lightbar with traffic advisor
- Whelen Par36 LED hide-a-ways (replaces factory fog lights in front bumper)
- Whelen hide-a-way LED in back up lights
- Whelen TIN3™ Series Super-LED® Lightheads in trunk (provides warning lighting when trunk lid is open, blocking the roof mounted lightbar)
- Whelen Head and Tail light flasher
- Whelen 295SLSA6 Siren and Light Controler
- Dual Driver and Passenger Side Spot Lights
- Setina PB-400-VS-M push bumper
- Pro-Guard prisoner transport seat
- Kustom Signals Raptor RP-1 Active Radar w/ Dual Antennas
- Setina® Double Vertical Gun Rack with Locks
- Vertex VX-4200 High Capacity VHF mobile radio